Get your Boat Licence with a Little Help from Us

Get your Boat Licence with a Little Help from Us

Why do you need to have a boat licence? If you are 16 years of age, and plan to drive a powered recreational watercraft at a speed of more than 10 knots in the NSW waters, you need to get your general boating licence.

Why is it necessary to be licensed to drive a boat at a speed of more than 10 knots? The reason is simple; at this speed, a powered vessel starts to plane. And unless you are licensed, you may not be able to control the craft in such a situation.

A general boating licence may remain valid for 1, 3 or 5 years. It depends on your choice. But it can be a better idea to opt for the lengthy validity periods, as this saves money. It is issued as a paper licence. Later you get a plastic photo card.

But is it all? No. Australia has different types of boating licences.

Young Adult General Licence:

This is a restricted licence available for individuals aged between 12 and 16 years. It is valid for a year, and expires on the next birthday of the licensee. Numerous restrictions apply to this licence.

  • When travelling at 10 knots or more, the licensee needs to be accompanied by a General Boat Licence holder
  • Cannot exceed the speed limit of 20 knots
  • Cannot travel at 10 knots or more while towing another individual
  • Cannot travel at 10 knots or more before sunrise or after sunset
  • Cannot participate in an organised maritime activity unless approved by the Roads and Maritime Services
  • Cannot operate a personal watercraft (PWC) just with this licence

PWC Licence

 If you are planning to drive a personal watercraft across the NSW waters, you need to get a specific licence for that. At whatever speed you drive your watercraft, this licence is an essential.

Young Adult PWC Licence:

Again, this is a restricted licence for individuals aged between 12 and 16 years. Also, the licensee needs to be accompanied by a PWC Licence holder while driving a craft at a speed of 10 knots or more.

Now that you have an idea about the different types of licence requirements, the next question is – how do you get them? Whichever licence you apply for, you need to get the General Boating Licence first.

To do this, you have to complete the General Licence Boating Safety Course, gain practical experience and pass the General Boat Licence Test. You can avail more information about the process from the maritime authorities.

You also have another option – to enrol in a course from an approved training provider.

Why enrol in a NSW boat licence course ? Well, there are a number of reasons for this. To begin with, it gives you the perfect opportunity to learn the theoretical portion, accumulate the relevant experience and pass the test to get the licence with ease.

When you enrol in our course, you get the chance to learn the basics on board our cruiser or maybe in an oceanfront classroom. And to get your boating experience, we take you on board our Brig Rib. It’s a day of fun in the sun!

After you have complete knowledge of the fundamentals of boating, it is time to take your exam. And you don’t need to dread it. Our trainers will help you understand every detail you need to know.

Once you have successfully taken the exam, we will issue the training certificate and provide you with the completed application form. Once you have taken these to the Roads and Maritime Office or posted these to NSW Maritime, you are done.

Now, you only need to wait for your licence to enjoy driving your personal watercraft.